The 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction to benefit PanCAN opens online to fans around the world on July 1, featuring 400+ collectibles from over 80 TV shows and 40 films, plus a variety of books, comics and more! And thanks to the kindness of fans and actors, producers and writers – almost all of our auction items are signed.
We host the auction itself on an external auction host site; stay tuned for the live link to preview items soon, and register to start bidding in our auction when it opens on July 1. 100% of the net proceeds from the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction will be donated to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. Net proceeds = 100% of every cent raised after we pay our vendors! PanCAN focuses on pancreatic cancer research, clinical initiatives, patient services and advocacy. We selected PanCAN to receive our auction net proceeds in honor of my mother-in-law Carolyn, who recently passed away after bravely battling pancreatic cancer for 4 years.
NEW: Note of thanks to Selina Wilken at Hypable for this interview and 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction preview! For more backstory about CGL and our auction, please click here to read her article.
Charity Auction Transparency: Cancer Gets Lost
Full disclosure: we fund Cancer Gets Lost ourselves, with our own money. CGL is a 501c(3)-sponsored organization. Our fiscal sponsor FJC, A Foundation of Philanthropic Funds (a 501c(3) public charity that provides management of charitable giving), oversees all of the financials for Cancer Gets Lost – including our PayPal account. FJC has earned a top 4-star rating on Charity Navigator!
Neither myself nor CGL Co-Founder Jared Wong keep or earn any money raised in any of our charity auctions (we have not received/earned even one cent from any Cancer Gets Lost charity auction, nor do we plan to). CGL is a labor of love that we work on in our spare time, outside of our full-time jobs!
Charity Auction Transparency: Buyer’s Premium Fee
As is the standard in most online charity auctions of this magnitude, winning bidders will be required to pay a Buyer’s Premium in addition to the winning bid and shipping fee. While other auction sites set these fees in the range of 15-25%, CGL has arranged for a lower Buyer’s Premium fee. For the 2018 Cancer Gets LOST Charity Auction, the Buyer’s Premium fee will only be 10% per item!
An example: if you bid on and win a poster in the CGL Charity Auction for $100, you will pay $100 + shipping + a 10% buyer’s premium ($10).
And FYI: we do offer combined shipping when multiple items are purchased by the same buyer! Shipping of all auction items will take place from late July to mid-August, once ALL payments have been received, confirmed and processed by FJC.
If you win an item in the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction for a winning bid amount higher than the starting price of the item, you will automatically receive a tax receipt from our fiscal sponsor, FJC.
Terms & Conditions
- Disclaimer: PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL ITEMS IN THE 2018 CANCER GETS LOST CHARITY AUCTION ARE SOLD IN “AS IS” CONDITION, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
- There are NO refunds! 100% of the net proceeds from the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction are being donated to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, a pancreatic cancer charity.
- Before you start bidding on items, please take the time to read the “Terms” tab, which will be in every auction item listing.
- Please only place bids in our charity auction if you genuinely intend to pay for items you win and have the means to do so.
2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction Timeline & Instructions
Here is exactly how the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction will work, from start to finish; a CGL Online Charity Auction 101 for interested fans and future bidders!
June 21, 2018
- Our online charity auction in NOW OPEN in Preview Mode, giving you plenty of time to peruse and plan! *PLEASE NOTE: each listing will say No Online Bidding For This Item but that is only temporary and because of Preview Mode; the auction WILL open for registration and all listings will be open for bidding starting July 1 at 8:15am PDT!
July 1, 2018
- The 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction and registration will open at 8:15am PDT, when our auction goes live; stay tuned here & on Twitter (@CancerGetsLost) for the live link! The CGL auction is NOT hosted on eBay; we have a CGL-specific link to our external auction site that we will post at 8:15am PDT.
- * A valid credit card will be required for auction registration. Please note: the credit card you use to register will not be charged, but in order to ensure that your card is valid, you will see a temporary $1 charge on your account from our auction host site that will show up as “pending” but then disappear. This is called a verification ping, and it is a standard process.
- Those registered to bid in the auction may place bids at any time while the auction is open from July 1 – 11, 2018.
July 11, 2018
- The 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction will begin closing on Wednesday, July 11 at 8:15am PDT: ONE ITEM AT A TIME, in order, as listed. Please note the closing time on each item as you strategize your personal bidding process.
After Auction Closes: Invoice, Payment & Deadlines
- Within 3 days of auction close, we will email winning bidders an itemized invoice for items won in the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction, including the 10% Buyer’s Premium and shipping costs. If you win multiple items, they will be combined on one invoice!
- In the email, there will be a link to the Cancer Gets Lost PayPal account (the same one linked in the DONATE button and page on this site), for winning bidders to complete payment. Please do NOT go directly to the PayPal site or app to make payment; you MUST use the PayPal link in the invoice or on CGL’s website in order for the winning bid payments to be made to FJC, for them to process.
- PLEASE make sure that you enter the exact amount from your invoice when you make your PayPal payment! This includes winning bid amount(s), shipping and Buyer’s Premium fee.
- Make sure to forward your PayPal email receipt to CGL so that we can start the invoicing process. ** Please include your shipping address in the email, as it is not always listed in the PayPal receipt, and we need it for both shipping and tax receipt purposes! ** Email: CGLauctions at gmail dot com
- You will have 7 DAYS to complete payments for all items won in the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction! ALL auction item payments must be completed by July 18. You do not have to have a PayPal account, but we strongly recommend it. PayPal does offer the option to pay via credit card.
After Auction Closes: SHIPPING
- Because CGL is a 2-person operation and CGL’s fiscal sponsor FJC has to process hundreds of payments to the CGL PayPal account, please note: it will take up to 3 WEEKS before we start shipping out items to winning bidders in the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction (to verify and process payments from several hundred different winning bidders)! In order to avoid fraud, which sadly has been an issue for CGL in the past, we take extra time to confirm absolutely every aspect of each winning bidder’s payment information.
- Shipment of your items will take place from the end of July through mid-August. We appreciate your patience in advance; with over 400 auction items, there is a tremendous amount to process and ship!
- All domestic packages will be shipped via USPS, and all will include both insurance and tracking. We will choose the best option for you at the most reasonable cost. Shipping notifications with tracking info will be emailed to winning bidders.
- All overseas packages weighing less than 3 pounds will be shipped via USPS International First Class, and packages weighing over 3 pounds will be shipped via USPS International Priority Mail.
- A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany every item from the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction.
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
- After payments for ALL items won in the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction have been received and processed, AND Cancer Gets Lost has completed shipment of all items, we will then donate 100% of the auction net proceeds to PanCAN. We will share the total amount of money to be donated once that amount has been finalized! Net proceeds = 100% of every cent raised after we pay our vendors.
- For any shipping questions, please email us (CGLauctions at gmail dot com).
- For all other inquiries, please tweet us @CancerGetsLOSTand we will get back to you in a timely manner. Please keep in mind that we will not be able to respond to inquiries in the middle of the night. We are in the Pacific Daylight Time zone, in California (United States).
Updated list of TV shows & films in the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction!
12 Monkeys, The 100, Agent Carter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Alcatraz, American Gods, American Horror Story, Archer, Arrow, Bates Motel, Battlestar Galactica, Black Mirror, Black Sails, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Carmilla, Colony, Conan, Daredevil, Dark Matter, Doctor Who, The Exorcist, Family Guy, Fear the Walking Dead, Firefly, The Flash, Fringe, Futurama, Game of Thrones, The Gifted, Gotham, Grey’s Anatomy, The Guild, The Handmaid’s Tale, Hawaii Five-O, Heroes, iZombie, Jane the Virgin, Jessica Jones, The Leftovers, Legends of Tomorrow, LOST, Lost Girl, Luke Cage, The Magicians, Medium, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Mr. Robot, Once Upon a Time, Orphan Black, Outlander, The Path, Person of Interest, Reign, Riverdale, Scream Queens, Sense8, Sesame Street, The Shannara Chronicles, The Simpsons, Smallville, Sons of Anarchy, South of Nowhere, Star Trek, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Discovery, Stargate Universe, Stranger Things, Supergirl, Supernatural, Sweet/Vicious, Teen Wolf, This is Us, True Blood, Twin Peaks, V, The Vampire Diaries, Vikings, The Walking Dead, Westworld, Wynonna Earp, The X-Files, Young Justice
10 Cloverfield Lane, 300, Alien, Army of Darkness, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Back to the Future, Black Panther, The Boondock Saints, Captain America: Civil War, The Carmilla Movie, Chef, A Christmas Story, Dead Rising: Endgame, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harry Potter, Hellboy, The Hobbit, The Hunger Games, Justice League, Justice League vs. Teen Titans, The Lord of the Rings, Mulan, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Princess Bride, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Spider-Man, Star Trek, Star Trek: Beyond, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Super 8, Superman Returns, Thor: The Dark World, Thumper, Tomorrowland, Wonder Woman, World War Z, A Wrinkle in Time
CONTRIBUTIONS TO CGL
For those of you interested in supporting CGL but not necessarily interested in bidding on items in the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction, there is always the option to make a tax-deductible contribution to CGL via FJC, our fiscal sponsor! On the top of the CGL homepage, there is a Donate tab, for your convenience. Financial donations help offset the costs of auction hosting and shipping fees, and we appreciate every cent contributed toward the cause!
If you’re interested in donating an item to a future Cancer Gets Lost charity auction, we are always grateful for and open to donations of pop culture collectibles! Please contact us via email (cancergetslost at gmail dot com) any time.
Thank you so much for your interest in the 2018 Cancer Gets Lost Charity Auction! We are genuinely honored to be able to donate our net proceeds to PanCAN. Cancer Gets Lost hopes to raise a significant amount in our auction to contribute to their crucial pancreatic cancer cure research and patient services.
We Have to Give Back! Bid Together, Buy Alone! Happy bidding!
– Jo Garfein
Co-Founder & Executive Director, Cancer Gets Lost